Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Slave's Story

My name is Socus and I am a mere slave in Athens and I know that I do not really matter here, but when it comes to men having sex with boys or other men, I am definitely affected. Though I am a slave, I have a bit of a different story than the typical. As many of the others before me have said, it is against the law to be paid for sexual activity, but I was desperate to get out of my lower-class standing. I saw all of the other boys at the school of martial arts around me interacting with these older men and I knew that could be my one way out of my near servile life. I did not really understand what was happening at school when an older man approached me and said he would pay me to be his passive partner in sex and I thought it was my ticket to prosperity. Unfortunately, the public officials overheard what was happening and since I had already agreed and accepted the man's money, I was stripped of my citizen rights. Now I have been reduced to slave status and I have no control anymore. As a slave, I cannot participate in courting rituals and I cannot court free boys. Athenian men are able to have sex with me at will which shows that there truly is a link between your status in society and your control of your position in sexual activity. Because of the complicated system of pederasty in the city of Athens, I am now a slave and cannot get out of my social position. Other Greek cities are more cut and dry about their view on pederasty, but Athens is just so complicated. Because of that, I have lost my citizen rights and for that I will always disagree with pederasty as an institution of the Athenian elite. My opinion as a slave does not matter, but please do consider it.

No comments:

Post a Comment