Though Acrisius and Siromos are more
fully involved in the discussion of these pederastic relationships, I don't
think anyone ever thinks about us wives. My name is Helena and my husband
currently has an eromenos so I know the system in Athens. My sister lives in
Sparta and when she and her husband got married, she spent her first year
dressing up as a man during sexual intercourse so that she could ease her
husband's transition from sexual intercourse with boys to sexual intercourse
with women. Now that is commitment if I have ever seen it. Even though my
husband engages in sexual activity with boys on the side, it is not his sexual
purity that matters, it is my purity, his sisters' purity, his mother's purity,
and his daughters' purity that actually matter. I guess that makes sense since
us women get married so young that we really don't have a chance to be impure.
Also since men get married to such young women, they do not have a chance to
fight over the women and since men always have to fight over something, they
choose to fight over the boys at the casino. Sometimes I think that these men
only get married to women to pass along the lineage and because they are
required to, not because they actually want to. I have also heard that men
prefer to have sex with boys to pass along knowledge and they do not want to
pass it along to us women. We are only good for passing along their name to the
future society. I just do not really understand why these relationships exist.
If I were to find out that my son were some erastes' eromenos, I would find a
way to end that so fast, but as a woman in Greece, I guess my choice does not
really matter in this situation.

No comments:
Post a Comment